Thursday, July 31, 2008

a long day in the studio


I'm apparently quite chatty today - this is my third post of the day. But I've been chatty in real life too - I asked Joe so many questions about what I was working on that he finally asked me, "isn't this why you have a blog?"

I've been experimenting with new stuff in the studio today, and I've been staring at it so long, I'm starting to get paranoid that I've seen it before. You know the feeling. "Do these earrings look to much like the Heather Guidero pair I own?" (The answer was yes, so I tweaked them.) "Is this ring too much like that love letter ring of Colleen Baran's?" (The verdict's still out.)

I try to be so cognizant of what my work is influenced by. The beauty of the internet is that you can see so much work on a daily basis. The problem with the internet is that you can see so much work on a daily basis. I think the challenge is to keep your eye on work you like, but divorce yourself from that work as a source of inspiration. To err on the side of not making something if you think its similar, but not let the fear of copying paralyze you. And to realize when everything starts to look the same, its time to call it a night.

No comments: