Wednesday, October 7, 2009

i heart wool


Today I'm working on prototypes for some new cozy/cuff designs (and no I won't give you any more details than that!) and it has me waxing poetic about wool and felt. So I thought it was about time I showed some images from my trip to NYC a few weeks back. I went with a bunch of Towson students a faculty, first to see Design for a Living World (again). Afterwards, we took the ferry to Governer's Island to see Pioneers of Change, an exhibition of Dutch design.


With out a doubt, my favorite installation was of my design crush, Christien Meindertsma. Sadly, Christien wasn't there on the day I was there, but I loved how she displayed all the steps of her process. I especially loved the details on the types of wool and dyes she uses. It brought me back to my feltmaking days in grad school, when I meticulously recorded all the wool dying I did.



Now all I'm thinking about is what a wonderful material wool is, and all the fabulous things I could do with it. (Oh, and that wouldn't it be fun to have a few sheep of my own!)


No comments: